Boat Rocker Media - Senior Vice President - Business & Legal Affairs
Opportunity Overview: Boat Rocker Media is currently seeking an experienced SVP, Business & Legal Affairs to oversee the business and legal affairs related to the development, production and distribution divisions of the company.
S/He will own the negotiation of all production and distribution deals and will rigorously evaluate alternate deal structures for the benefit of the company. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with producers, broadcasters, financiers and outside attorneys and agents. Requirements of Role: The ideal candidate will need to lead and mentor Boat Rocker’s Business & Legal Affairs team, and manage multiple internal clients and divisions. Primary Responsibilities:
• Oversee all business and legal affairs functions, including all phases of structuring, negotiating and drafting production, international distribution, international co-production deals, and related ancillary agreements.
• Draft and negotiate development, production and exploitation related agreements, including test options and other talent deals, broadcast license and distribution agreements, equity agreements, interim financing agreements.
• Provide strategic advice on creator/showrunner, IP licensing, housekeeping, first look and pod deals, and negotiate and draft such deals.
• Provide advice on clearance issues related to Boat Rocker’s productions.
• Provide strategic advice to management executives on talent guild matters, funding agency requirements, and legal and regulatory matters, and advise on general legal and corporate matters.
• Supervise and train business affairs directors and managers.
• Work closely with finance department and understand the regulations and guidelines which underpin Canadian content financing, including expert knowledge in CAVCO regulations, CMF guidelines, and Telefilm co-production treaties.
• Liaise closely with funding agencies and other key financing partners.
• Collaborate with, provide advice to and synthesize feedback from business leaders in the Company.
• Maintain awareness and understanding of the latest developments in the law and technology as they relate to the development, production and distribution of content.
• Coordinate with outside legal counsel on various legal matters, if applicable.
A strong background in production legals, with experience in the complex business and legal environment of Canadian content production and financing is necessary.
• Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 10 years relevant entertainment/media industry experience in television production and distribution with transactional legal and business affairs experience.
• The ideal candidate will have experience with both traditional linear and digital media.
• Sound international experience, particularly in respect of the US market.
• Proven track-record of creatively addressing legal and business issues.
• Ability to analyze transactions and risks from a sound pragmatic and commercial perspective, with strong technical expertise.
• Passion for and practical knowledge of the TV and digital industries and needs to be fully conversant with overall and specific markets in which Boat Rocker operates to make sound commercial/business judgments.
• Intimate knowledge of the Canadian funding environment is important, as is financial acumen and familiarity with production financing and recoupment modelling.
• Knowledge of digital and SVOD deal structures and unscripted television is helpful.
• Expert knowledge of Canadian guilds (WGC, DGC, and ACTRA) and union regulations, working knowledge of US guilds (WGA, DGA and SAG-AFTRA) and related legal trends and business practices.
• Deep understanding of media/content business models with an ability to devise new business models.
• Strong negotiation and drafting skills.
• Experience with international production and co-production deals and structures.
• Established industry relationships with agencies and production companies an asset.
• Proven experience developing and maintaining internal relationships.
• Must be able to work under tight timelines and meet deadlines.
• Significant management ability and experience vis-à-vis other business affairs professionals.
• Superior organization and project management skills are necessary.
• Ability to top-line issues for senior network executives and producers on a daily basis and communicate in a clear, concise and succinct manner.
Key Attributes for Success:
• A strong leader who strives in an entrepreneurial environment, who is a team player and who can work well independently.
• Confidence level and stature to work with and advise the senior leadership team.
• Highly business orientated and commercially aware.
• Excellent organizational skills, and detail-oriented with an ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
• High level of integrity and judgment in managing confidential / sensitive information.
• Willingness to work effectively and timely across time zones with colleagues and clients throughout the globe.
• Takes responsibility for assigned tasks, shows initiative to suggest improvements to processes and procedures.
• A communicator who is pro-active in his/her approach to both opportunities and problems, but always as part of the team.
• An analytical mind, able to trouble-shoot effectively and calmly with an ability to react to challenges and maintain a sense of humor.
• Strategic thinker with strong business and legal acumen.
• S/he must be able to multi-task under pressure, manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly, and operate autonomously within corporate parameters.
• A successful candidate is expected to be able to build strong internal and external client relationships, effectively advise senior-level executives under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong partner and internal satisfaction through strategic thinking and firm decision-making.
A competitive compensation package, including base salary and bonus will be provided as well as the potential to participate in the company’s long-term incentive plan.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please request it. We will work with you to meet your needs
Ideal timing for hire: March 2018
Apply to: Please send your application to email@example.com
Thank you for your application but only those being considered for the role will be contacted.
Social Content Intern
The Social Content Intern creates a harmonious relationship with our worldwide fans by treating them with respect and doing our best to give them constant access to the brands they love through the voice and perspective of Boat Rocker Digital. The role of Social Content Intern is to work alongside the Social Media Manager to curate, develop and provide specific assets for Social−think Instagram Stories, short cut downs, GIFs.
The scope of projects and required skill sets range from digital video production to editing and graphic design. The role requires strong self-motivation and organizational skills, creativity, and a willingness to work closely on requests from those we work with globally. This role is responsible for creating assets for all of our brands ranging from Killjoys to The Next Step and preschool programming.
- Strong knowledge of all Adobe Creative Cloud programs (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects)
- Working knowledge of all social platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc)
- Exemplified content creation skills from GIFs to Instagram Stories to short video edits
- Graphic Design experience an asset
- Independent thinker but team player
- Strong English writing and comprehension
Please write a response to the following question and send it along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Don’t forget to have fun with it!
- Let's say we have a brand new preschool cartoon airing. We need to create content that will appeal to both parents and their children across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
What content would you create and prioritize in order to best connect with these audiences? Be as specific as possible.
Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities. Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.
Senior Director, Development & Production - Radical Sheep
We are looking for a Senior Director, Development and Production to support the wide range of growing needs for Animation & Live Action development and production across Radical Sheep.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement the creative strategy as defined by VP Radical Sheep
- Manage and oversee development team to achieve common goals
- Act as Development Executive across our growing development slate of scripted Animation and Live Action series from Preschool to Teen
- Act as Production Executive/Supervising Producer on both live action and animated series in pre-production and production
- Garner new concept submissions and usher series through to production
- Develop and maintain relationship with new and existing talent (writers, directors, artists etc.) and work to build strong creative teams around each series
- Work closely with broadcast partners through development and production
- Attend trade markets as needed
- Work closely with our Rights and Brands teams to develop truly 360 concepts
- Keep apprised of new series and trends in the kids and family space
- Maintain goodwill and relationships while navigating difficult production issues
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 10 years’ experience in Kids and Family Development and Production, or any similar combination of education and experience
- Thorough knowledge of all demographics both animation and live action from preschool to teen
- Relationships and experience working with Broadcasters domestically and internationally
- Strong relationships with talent both domestically and internationally
- A strong understanding of story and ability to give constructive and well-crafted notes
- A strong understanding of both the live action and animation development and production process
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Proven ability to build effective and productive working relationships
- Excellent overall people skills and ability to manage/oversee a variety of people and projects from a corporate standpoint
- Proven ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities that may have conflicting deadlines
- Ability to work independently to manage and prioritize workload, and take initiative
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, and efficient
Reporting to the VP of Radical Sheep, this role will creatively support multiple Animation and Live Action projects across the full pitch to production life cycle. The Senior Director will give notes at every stage of development and production to build a strong series for the international marketplace.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time position.
- Position location: Downtown Toronto
Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs