Boat Rocker Media - Senior Vice President - Business & Legal Affairs
Boat Rocker Media - Senior Vice President - Business & Legal Affairs
Opportunity Overview: Boat Rocker Media is currently seeking an experienced SVP, Business & Legal Affairs to oversee the business and legal affairs related to the development, production and distribution divisions of the company.
S/He will own the negotiation of all production and distribution deals and will rigorously evaluate alternate deal structures for the benefit of the company. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with producers, broadcasters, financiers and outside attorneys and agents. Requirements of Role: The ideal candidate will need to lead and mentor Boat Rocker’s Business & Legal Affairs team, and manage multiple internal clients and divisions. Primary Responsibilities:
• Oversee all business and legal affairs functions, including all phases of structuring, negotiating and drafting production, international distribution, international co-production deals, and related ancillary agreements.
• Draft and negotiate development, production and exploitation related agreements, including test options and other talent deals, broadcast license and distribution agreements, equity agreements, interim financing agreements.
• Provide strategic advice on creator/showrunner, IP licensing, housekeeping, first look and pod deals, and negotiate and draft such deals.
• Provide advice on clearance issues related to Boat Rocker’s productions.
• Provide strategic advice to management executives on talent guild matters, funding agency requirements, and legal and regulatory matters, and advise on general legal and corporate matters.
• Supervise and train business affairs directors and managers.
• Work closely with finance department and understand the regulations and guidelines which underpin Canadian content financing, including expert knowledge in CAVCO regulations, CMF guidelines, and Telefilm co-production treaties.
• Liaise closely with funding agencies and other key financing partners.
• Collaborate with, provide advice to and synthesize feedback from business leaders in the Company.
• Maintain awareness and understanding of the latest developments in the law and technology as they relate to the development, production and distribution of content.
• Coordinate with outside legal counsel on various legal matters, if applicable.
A strong background in production legals, with experience in the complex business and legal environment of Canadian content production and financing is necessary.
• Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 10 years relevant entertainment/media industry experience in television production and distribution with transactional legal and business affairs experience.
• The ideal candidate will have experience with both traditional linear and digital media.
• Sound international experience, particularly in respect of the US market.
• Proven track-record of creatively addressing legal and business issues.
• Ability to analyze transactions and risks from a sound pragmatic and commercial perspective, with strong technical expertise.
• Passion for and practical knowledge of the TV and digital industries and needs to be fully conversant with overall and specific markets in which Boat Rocker operates to make sound commercial/business judgments.
• Intimate knowledge of the Canadian funding environment is important, as is financial acumen and familiarity with production financing and recoupment modelling.
• Knowledge of digital and SVOD deal structures and unscripted television is helpful.
• Expert knowledge of Canadian guilds (WGC, DGC, and ACTRA) and union regulations, working knowledge of US guilds (WGA, DGA and SAG-AFTRA) and related legal trends and business practices.
• Deep understanding of media/content business models with an ability to devise new business models.
• Strong negotiation and drafting skills.
• Experience with international production and co-production deals and structures.
• Established industry relationships with agencies and production companies an asset.
• Proven experience developing and maintaining internal relationships.
• Must be able to work under tight timelines and meet deadlines.
• Significant management ability and experience vis-à-vis other business affairs professionals.
• Superior organization and project management skills are necessary.
• Ability to top-line issues for senior network executives and producers on a daily basis and communicate in a clear, concise and succinct manner.
Key Attributes for Success:
• A strong leader who strives in an entrepreneurial environment, who is a team player and who can work well independently.
• Confidence level and stature to work with and advise the senior leadership team.
• Highly business orientated and commercially aware.
• Excellent organizational skills, and detail-oriented with an ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
• High level of integrity and judgment in managing confidential / sensitive information.
• Willingness to work effectively and timely across time zones with colleagues and clients throughout the globe.
• Takes responsibility for assigned tasks, shows initiative to suggest improvements to processes and procedures.
• A communicator who is pro-active in his/her approach to both opportunities and problems, but always as part of the team.
• An analytical mind, able to trouble-shoot effectively and calmly with an ability to react to challenges and maintain a sense of humor.
• Strategic thinker with strong business and legal acumen.
• S/he must be able to multi-task under pressure, manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly, and operate autonomously within corporate parameters.
• A successful candidate is expected to be able to build strong internal and external client relationships, effectively advise senior-level executives under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong partner and internal satisfaction through strategic thinking and firm decision-making.
A competitive compensation package, including base salary and bonus will be provided as well as the potential to participate in the company’s long-term incentive plan.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please request it. We will work with you to meet your needs
Ideal timing for hire: March 2018
Apply to: Please send your application to email@example.com
Thank you for your application but only those being considered for the role will be contacted.
Boat Rocker Media is seeking a hardworking and efficient first year law student (or second year if in a joint degree program such as a JD/MBA) for a paid internship position during the summer of 2017 to assist our Corporate Services and Financial team. In the role of Legal Intern you will draft and review talent agreements, assist with drafting precedents and company policy documents, research and advise management on legal and regulatory matters, and assist with tax credit applications. You will also provide support on general corporate legal and financial matters related to Boat Rocker Media’s corporate affairs.
The ideal candidate will be a well-organized, detail-oriented, law student with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and conflicting deadlines. We are looking for a student with excellent academic credentials who has exceptional written and oral communication skills, and is both able to work independently and be a team player. Proficiency with MS Word and Excel are a must, as is a keen interest in working in corporate and entertainment law. Business and financial experience an asset, but not required.
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply with a cover letter, resume and copy of your undergraduate and law school transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 24, 2017.
Scripted Development Internship
Scripted Development Internship
SPRING INTERNSHIP: MARCH TO JUNE
We are looking for a dynamic individual who is a self-starter, takes initiative, feels passionately about their work, and will support the Temple Street team on a variety of new and ongoing projects. Our ideal candidate has previous exposure to the industry, and is eager to learn and adapt to the fast-paced, ever changing environment.
- Managing the department’s filing systems, databases,
- Reviewing creative materials and composing coverage
- Coordinating travel and meetings
- Development research as requested
- Supporting ongoing production matters as needed
- Covering front reception / answering phones on occasion as needed
- Possess strong organizational skills with a
meticulous eye for detail
- Sharp creative instincts with a general understanding
of the television landscape
- Excellent communication skills, positive attitude,
and problem-solving approach
- General understanding of story structure, character
development and written prose is ideal
- A self-starter with a keen interest to learn
- Ability to communicate professionally in
person and via e-mail
- Confidence in person and on the phone
- Enthusiasm and passion for TV
INTERNS WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO
- Develop creative critique and analysis
- Receive and provide feedback
- Participate in meetings
- Gain industry knowledge and skills
- Network with the employees at Boat Rocker Media, build
connections and gain exposure to different opportunities in
- 3 month internship that will start in March and end in June
- Compensation will be discussed with the successful
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your CV and cover letter to
with "Temple Street Internship"
in the subject heading. While we thank all applicants for their interest,
only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Boat Rocker is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.
Systems Help Desk Administrator
Systems Help Desk Administrator
The Systems Administrator is responsible for the day-to-day resolution of issues and requests (tickets) as well as the monitoring and maintenance and monitoring of all workstations and peripherals within the Boat Rocker Media network as pertains to hardware, operating systems, and application software.
The Systems Administrator is also responsible for keeping inventory up-to-date; ensure all software licenses are properly recorded, as well as keeping the systems area, the systems cage, and software cabinet organized and clean. They must also work with the Facilities department to assist in employee and/or equipment installations, moves and reconfigurations.
The Systems Administrator must work well with other members of the Technology Department to learn how to use and troubleshoot new applications and/or services as they are introduced to the production pipeline, as well as, increasing their skills in other areas related to the Technology Department to help improve their overall performance and scope of knowledge.
Duties and Responsibilities
Required Skills and Experience
- Resolve computer-related issues for studio employees as assigned by the Help Desk
- Complete in full all assigned project tasks
- Assist in ensuring that the inventory system is up-to-date
- Assist in ensuring that all software licenses are properly assigned
- Assist in organization and cleaning of all Systems and Systems storage areas
- Continually learning all skills required to provide proper ongoing support
- Continually improve troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Documentation of all methods and procedures
- Perform monitor calibrations as required
- Perform additional duties as required
- 3+ years experience as a Systems Administrator (Studio experience a bonus)
- Completed post-secondary education in computer-related area of study
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- High level of customer service orientation
- Availability to work non-traditional hours
- Strong knowledge and troubleshooting of basic network issues
- Strong knowledge and troubleshooting of Windows 7 and basic office applications
- Experience and knowledge graphics and animation applications a bonus
Qualified and interested applicants are encouraged to apply to applyIT@boatrocker.com. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.
Social Content Intern
Social Content Intern
The Social Content Intern creates a harmonious relationship with our worldwide fans by treating them with respect and doing our best to give them constant access to the brands they love through the voice and perspective of Boat Rocker Digital. The role of Social Content Intern is to work alongside the Social Media Manager to curate, develop and provide specific assets for Social−think Instagram Stories, short cut downs, GIFs.
The scope of projects and required skill sets range from digital video production to editing and graphic design. The role requires strong self-motivation and organizational skills, creativity, and a willingness to work closely on requests from those we work with globally. This role is responsible for creating assets for all of our brands ranging from Killjoys to The Next Step and preschool programming.
- Strong knowledge of all Adobe Creative Cloud programs (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects)
- Working knowledge of all social platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc)
- Exemplified content creation skills from GIFs to Instagram Stories to short video edits
- Graphic Design experience an asset
- Independent thinker but team player
- Strong English writing and comprehension
Please write a response to the following question and send it along with your CV to email@example.com
. Don’t forget to have fun with it!
- Let's say we have a brand new preschool cartoon airing. We need to create content that will appeal to both parents and their children across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
What content would you create and prioritize in order to best connect with these audiences? Be as specific as possible.
Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities. Boat Rocker Media and its subsidiaries are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.